ABOUT GRADIF-KENYA FOUNDATION:
GRADIF-K is a Public National Community Development Foundation founded in the year 2006 and legally registered with the registrar of companies as a company limited by guarantee with no share capital in May, 2007 and issued with Certificate No C. 139158.The Goal of the Foundation is to support the improvement of life of vulnerable and marginalized community groups in selected poverty stricken and resource scarce areas in Kenya focusing more on rural areas and urban slums. To promote effectiveness, wide reach and sustainability of projects/programs, GRADIF-K works with organized, legally registered community groups, structures and institutions of learning in the implementation of age-appropriate, rights based, gender sensitive, cultural responsive and environmentally friendly community based poverty reduction programs. All of the GRADIF-K programs are geared towards contributing towards the Kenya’s Vision 2030 Goals, realization of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and Education for All (EFA), all in contribution to the realization of the wellbeing of children and other key targeted groups in Kenya. The key broad areas of our work include; Citizen Participation and Governance, Social Protection, Economic Livelihoods and Organizational capacity development. GRADIF-K has a gained wide experience in the implementation of outlined projects in the past 10 plus years in various counties in Kenya with commendable results. Over time, GRADIF-K has developed healthy and cordial working relationships with the relevant County and National Governments of Kenya departments, Community Based Development& other Civil Society Organizations including, International Development agencies and institutions, Foundations, FBOs, Youth groups, development partners including development agencies and Non-Governmental Organizations, Research &learning institutions, the private sector and community technical resource persons in the implementation of all programs.
Location of our Offices:
The organization has a resource mobilization and projects coordination office in Nairobi located at the Deep Blue Plaza, Kahawa Wendani opposite Kahawa Barracks and a few metres drive to Kenyatta University on Thika Super-Highway. Most activities of GRADIF-K are concentrated in Eastern, Central and Rift Valle regions/provinces in Kenya. GRADIF-K’s regional field offices are located at Chuka town serving Tharaka Nithi and Meru Counties. In Embu Countyt at Kanyuambora market serving Embu and Machakos Counties, Mweiga Market serving Nyeri and Laikipia Counties. GRADIF-K is in the process of establishing an office in Isiolo Town to cover Isiolo, Samburu & Marsabit Counties. GRADIF-K has established strong and cordial working relationships that result to being hosted by various CSOs, Community Based Organizations (CBOs), Self Help groups, Learning institutions, Faith Based Organizations and farmers Organizations (FOs), the Private Sector in every supported county to cut down the expenses on running many offices.
GRADIF-K Areas of Operation:
GRADI-K has a mandate to serve Communities Nationally but most of our activities are concentrated in the following regions in Kenya: Central, Eastern, Rift Valley and Coast regions in Kenya.
Vision and Mission:
A champion for sustainable development of grassroots communities in Kenya in an empowered society.
To facilitate the empowerment of grass root marginalized communities through capacity development, Advocacy & Influencing policy, Collaboration &strategic partnerships, networking and linkages so that they can actively engage in sustainable development guided by equal opportunities for all.
Orphaned and Vulnerable Children (OVC) from 0-18 years through age appropriate programming, Women& Man, The Youth-both females and males, Farmers organizations, Persons Living With Disability (PWDs), Community vulnerable and disadvantaged groups, Rural and the Urban poor.
Strategic Issues / Interventions:
GRADIF-K is addressing key strategic issues arising from our review of the environment both internally and externally.
- Citizens’ participation in the undertaking and decision making in all matters affecting their lives including implementation of the new constitution and the devolution governments’ plans.
- Economic empowerment for marginalized groups.
- Community access and utilization of local resources
- Impacts of Environmental degradation and Climate Change
- Youth and Women Social-Economic Empowerment.
- Strengthening Weak household safety nets
- Violation of Children’s rights (Strengthened Child Protection Interventions)
- Strategic partnerships in development.
GRADIF-K has adopted two strategic approaches in all that it does. These are mainstreamed in all program engagements.
- Capacity Development (both Organizational development& programmatic)
- Lobbying, Advocacy and Influencing policy
- Networking, Collaborations and Partnerships
Thematic Areas of Focus:
GRADIF-K’S work is categorized into four strategic themes outlined below
1) Democracy, Citizen’s Participation and Governance: Here we are promoting citizens’ awareness and involvement in matters affecting their lives including their active engagement in the implementation and monitoring of the Kenya’s New constitution (COK, 2010) and the devolved Governments plans, awareness and participation in devolved governments’ planning& decision making, service delivery, equitable distribution of resources, their active participation in the management of their counties and enhancing the Capacities and governance of grassroots CSOs and public institutions among others.
2) Economic Livelihoods: The key programs supported under this thematic area include: Natural Resource Management with Agriculture &Livelihoods as key component, Entrepreneurship, Environmental Conservation/Climate Change Mitigation & Adaptation, Agri-Business capacity development and livelihoods, Gender in Value Chain promotion among others.
3) Social Protection: Under this thematic area, we are supporting Human Rights, Quality Basic Education including Early Childhood Care Development & Education Programmes, Child Protection, Women and Girl Child empowerment, Youth Social economic empowerment, Health promotion, strengthening the family safety nets and psycho-social support. Youth Adolescence, Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights.
4) Organizational Development: We are strengthening both the organizational and institutional capacities of GRADIF-K and the affiliated grassroots CSOs for effective &quality service delivery and realization of sustainable development.
Development Networks Affiliation:
GRADIF-K is a member of the following National and international development networks:
- Sustainable Food Systems (SFS) Programme.
- Kenya Climate Justice Women Champions (KCJWC).
- Kenya Climate Change Working Group (KCCWG)
- Tharaka Nithi CSOs in Health Network
- Health Rights Advocacy Forum (HERAF)
- Elimu Yetu Coalition (EYC) (Our Education Coalition)
- Kenya Organic Agriculture Network (KOAN)
- IFAD/KCEP Partners programme initiative
- The Girl Child Network (GCN)
- Kenya Climate Finance Governance Network
- Devolved Governance Non State Actors (DEGONSA)-Also represented in the network Sub-Committees
- The Institute of Social Accountability (TISA) devolution working group
- Child Poverty Rapid Response Committee (CPRRC), a Sub-Committee of Convention Of Child Rights (CRC), Monitoring group Kenya
- Tharaka Nithi Education Network
- Tharaka Nithi County Education
- Kenya Association of Professional Counsellors (KAPC)
- Agri-profocus Network
- Kenya Alliance of Residents Association (KARA)