- Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) Components of focus and Youth Socio-Economic Empowerment (This project is supported by the Segal Family Foundation (SFF).
Goal: Enhanced Sexual, Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) Awareness and the Social Economic wellbeing of youth in Tharaka Nithi County.
Target groups: Adolescents & Youths 12-24 years, Youth 25-37, Adults 37-55 Years Females & Males of child bearing age with special focus on Persons living with disability
GRADIF-K is particularly focusing on Adolescent & Youth Reproductive Health Rights, elimination of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), reducing school dropout rates and increased Family Planning uptake for adults in child bearing age through collaboration and partnerships with relevant service providers.
Intervention undertaken for the targeted groups: 25 to 37; 38- 55 year olds as supported/funded by the Segal Family Foundation besides other general support.
Key Activities Supported:
- Increasing Adolescents & Youths awareness on their Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)
- Intensifying appropriate information dissemination and capacity development of the Community Health Workers (CHWs/Community Based Distributors (CBDs) of Contraceptives in Tharaka Nithi district (currently County).
- Formation and strengthening the capacities of Tharaka Nithi County CSOs Network in Family Planning& Reproductive Health to support the Sexual and Reproductive Health Agenda, Planning& Reproductive Health to support the Sexual and Reproductive Health Agenda.
- Ensuring linkage of GRADIF-K SRH/FP Plans with County Integrated Development Plans (CIDP) for effectiveness, quality services and sustainability of the Programme.
- Facilitating formation and capacity strengthening of youth and related grassroots groups for their social- economic empowerment.
- Supporting youth life skills and livelihoods initiatives and capacity development of youth groups.
- Linking Youth Groups with financial service providers to access credit
- Promoting table banking concept among youth groups
- Training and facilitating the development of Business Plans for Youth economic projects.
- Disseminating appropriate information on selected SRHR Components among Young girls both in and out of school
- Support and strengthen Male Involvement in Family Planning as Community Based Distributors of Contraceptives (CBDs)/Community Health Workers (CHWs).
- Increase the number of community groups participating in various economic empowerment initiatives supported by GRADIF-K through integrated programming approach.
- Strengthen the capacities of and motivate the CBDS/CHWs to effectively provide effective services to targeted groups/community members.
- Strengthen advocacy through the Health CSOs Network for increased resource allocation by the National and Tharaka Nithi District (County) Governments for FP& SRH services.
- Sexual Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) for Adolescents and Youth (12-24 years) though the Youth Peer Provider (YPP) Model.
This project is supported by the Planned Parenthood Global (PP Global)
Youth Peer Provider (YPP) Model.
The Title of the YPP Model project is to increase access to Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) for Adolescents and Youth in Tharaka Nithi County. The project is anchored on the PP Global Division Strategic Goal which is to support partners offer rights-based SRH services at all levels of Health systems.
Project Goal: Improve Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) of Adolescents and Youth in Tharaka Nithi County.
Project Strategies: The key strategies being applied in the implementation of this project include: Documentation & Information sharing, Capacity Building of targeted groups and stakeholder through targeted groups’ sensitizations and awareness campaigns/ sessions, Advocacy & Influencing policy, networking & Collaboration, application of Youth Peer Provider (YPP) Model, Referrals to appropriate youth friendly service providers, dissemination of appropriate SRH information, building of strategic partner ships, Referrals and linkages.
- Strengthen the capacity of GRADIF- Kenya to offer youth friendly Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) information and services to adolescents and youths aged 10-24 years in Tharaka Nithi County
- Increase access and utilization of SRHR information and services among adolescents and youth in and out of schools in Tharaka Nithi County
- Increase knowledge and skills through awareness creation on SRHR among adolescents and youth in Tharaka Nithi County
Area of Coverage: The Project is serving youths and adolescents in Chuka Igamba Ng’ombe Sub county and Marimanti Ward in Tharaka Nithi County.
Target age group: The project is expected to reach out to 5000+ 12-24 Year old Adolescents and youth (Males and Females).
Interventions: Key Planned Activities:
- Adolescents and youth Sensitization on Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)
- Identification, recruitment and training of YPPs from the targeted Sub-Counties’ on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) using the YPP Model
- Procurement of YPP kits for each YPP trained including (Contraceptives, referral books, note books and pens) among other key items.
- Organize 1day stakeholders meeting in Tharaka Nithi County to introduce the project and lobby for support
- Undertaking a baseline for information gathering on SRHR Knowledge, Altitude and Practices (KAP) project within the county of operation to act as evidence for measuring change and impact in the long run.
- Integrate SRHR into other GRADIF youth oriented programs
- Conduct YPP monthly monitoring meetings for support supervision and backstopping share experiences and learning as well as collected data from them
- Provision of contraceptives by YPPs to fellow peers at the community level
- Conducting monthly meetings for YPP monitoring, experience and information sharing
- Mapping out Adolescents and Youth Friendly SRH&FP Service Providers / clinics in Tharaka Nithi County and selection of appropriate providers for partnerships and collaborations.
- Training the identified Youth Peer Providers (YPPs) on SRHR youth friendly services provision, related services and exploring possibility of subsidized services to the youth to increase access for SRH services
- Setting up a youth friendly corner at GRADIF offices to provide SRH information and counselling
- Supporting free mobile SRHR outreaches with the selected providers and integrated health services at the communities in the two sub-counties.
- Mapping and identification of primary and secondary schools in the area of target to conduct SRH outreaches to adolescents and youth in school.
- Identification and capacity building of teachers in selected schools to support SRHR activities and support related adolescents and youth friendly services as well as supporting the establishment of SRH clubs n schools to assist in sensitizing their pupils and students.
- Conducting debates, dialogues and chats on SRH in schools during clubs sessions.
- Identifying other activities where youth out of school congregate (Religious activities, football and other organizing community activities and SRHR outreaches for out of school youths.
- Enlisting the support of Tharaka Nithi County SRH&FP CSOs Networks in YPP Model initiative and monitoring its implementation.
- Holding Round Table advocacy meetings with Tharaka Nithi County leadership to advocate for increased support for SRH/FP services and particularly for the support of the YPP model through adequate resource allocation to the SRH&FP sector.
- Organizing and facilitating the YPP project review and learning meetings
Results and Outcomes: Some of the Anticipated Project Results Include:
- Improved GRADIF-K organizational capacity to offer SRH services to adolescents and youths in Tharaka Nithi County.
- Improved knowledge and skills on SRHR among adolescents and youth in Tharaka Nithi County.
- Increased knowledge and access of SRH information and services among adolescents and youth
- Reduced teenage pregnancies and mortality due to unsafe abortions
- Strengthened networking among SRHR actors and service providers
- Improved quality of SRHR services provided among others
Way forward: upscale and replicate the successful models in other counties.